10 Ways to Use Typography Efficiently in Website Design
To make your site readable, you need to pay attention to typography and make sure that users can read your website content without any difficulty.
Besides colors and graphics, typography is a very important element for successful website design.
Typography affects the looks of a website and if you choose wrong fonts, your website may lose its appeal.
When you use typography in your website design, you need to remember the points mentioned below.
- Read the Text- Some careless web designers' think that they only need to copy paste the content in the website and their job is done.
Unfortunately, if you don't check the content after pasting it in your site, you will make a grave mistake.
Once you paste the text, read it to understand whether it's pleasing to the eyes or not.
Also, you have to remove unnecessary spaces in the text content to make it compact.
If your make the content live without checking it, your website design may lose its visual balance.
- Maintain a Hierarchy- Hierarchy in text content helps the readers to understand where they should start reading the content, where it ends and what are the most important points in the content.
To keep your content organized, you need to maintain a hierarchy through typography.
Use large fonts in headlines and small fonts in body content.
You should also use the line spacing and alignments appropriately to give your content a clear hierarchy.
- Pay Attention to Macro and Micro Typography- Micro typography means the spacing between letters and readability, while macro typography means the appearance and aesthetic beauty of a paragraph.
For a successful design, you need to pay attention to both of them.
- Font Colors- Once you select the font style, you need to select the colors for your font.
Choose a font color that can be read easily.
Don't pick a color that matches with the website's background color.
For instance, if you used red in your website background, don't select orange color for your fonts.
The safest colors for fonts are black and white.
You can also use bevel and drop shadow in your fonts, but make sure that the content is readable.
- Font Size- Don't use very large or very small fonts.
If the fonts are too small or too large, they will look unprofessional.
You should select a proper font size for body content and headline so that your viewers can read the text without any difficulty.
- Spacing- Check the spacing between words and lines.
Give spacing where necessary to make the content readable.
However, don't give to much space between two paragraphs as it may confuse the visitors.
- Line Height- Consider the line height for better readability and appearance of your text content.
Check if the lines are too close to each other and maintain enough vertical spacing between two lines.
- Text Alignment- We generally read text from left to right.
When you place the content in your website, align the content to the left.
This way your readers will feel more comfortable to read your text content.
- Highlight the Links- Your text content may have some links in it.
Highlight the links in your text with the help of colors and underline them.
It will help the readers to identify the links in your content.
- Use Safe Fonts- Don't use fancy fonts in your website.
All types of fonts are not supported by all the browsers.
No matter how beautiful a particular typeface looks, if it's not visible in all browsers, you must avoid it.
If you want to design an appealing website, you must pay attention to typography as well.